Sunday, March 8, 2020

Statue of Unity in India fail

I have visited the place. It was a Friday of February 2019. I went there from Baroda around 5pm. There were 2 types of tickets. One type is to visit the facility where you can go up to statue's feet. Other type of ticket is for observation deck. With that ticket one can take elevator and go up to statue's chest where viewing gallery is located. The gallery ticket cost was Rs.350 in comparison to the regular Rs.120.
Guess what, on weekdays, they were sold out. I was told that they sell limited tickets to the viewing gallery. It was some 7000 per day or something.
Go figure. SoU is a massive success. Don't go by the words of naysayers. They have problem for every solution.
I once watched a video where the king of naysayers was explaining that it took Rs.3000CR to build SoU. If SoU could collect profit of only 80CR in a year, by this rate it would take 40 years to break even. He said if Government of India would have "fixed deposited" the amount, it would have gathered more than Rs.200CR as interest. What a logic. By this logic GoI should drop all the projects and keep the money in FD in the lockers of god knows which bank on earth.
Statue of Unity is not just a dumb statue. It has been backed up by infrastructure which must have created tens and thousands of jobs and new opportunities in the radius of at least 100 kilometers around the statue. From bus drivers to ticket venders to hoteliers to engineers and project managers. It is beautifully maintained and administered. SoU is a project which is going to last for centuries. In that period, it will surpass its investment by multiple times.
I forgot to mention about the experience of being there because it doesn't matter much to the naysayers. It was fabulous. Even I couldn't go to the observation desk at the chest height, the statue pedestal is high enough to give you breathtaking view of the valley. The statue must be one of the biggest structures I have seen in my life. The history gallery teaches us things or two about the founding fathers of India. The light show in the evening is like a climax. I spent more than 3 hours around the facility with no dull moment.
I was eager to visit SoU. In that process I also visited many beautiful places such as Sabarmati Ashram, Vintage car museum in Ahmadabad, Swaminarayna temple, Adlaj ki waav near Gandhinagar, Laxmivilas palace of the house of Gaikwads in Baroda. Case in point, this statue is benefitting tourism in entire region.
Statue of Unity is a resounding success.



No comments: